Last month we unveiled our research study, “Managing and Understanding On-Premises and Cloud Spend,” where more than 300 C-level and IT decision makers unveiled their organization’s strategy and thoughts on their current and future state in regards to the cloud. The survey covered four main topic areas, including:
- The myth of the cloud
- Cloud management remains a priority and a challenge
- On-premises is here to stay
- The hybrid approach
We discussed the first two points in our last blog, and we’ll be looking at both on-premises and the hybrid approach this week.
The survey topic was obviously top of mind for many of you, and was covered in various publications over the last few weeks, including:
- BetaNews, Organizations struggle with cloud costs,
- EnterpriseTech, Cloud Uncertainty Fuels Hybrid Approach,
- TMCnet, New Survey Reveals Need for Cloud Reality Check,
Uncertainty around the cost of cloud remains a major sticking point for most organizations. Our whitepaper, “Manage Budget and Spend in a Multi-Cloud Environment,” takes a look at how difficult it is to plan and manage for cloud spend, citing key factors such as:
- Public cloud bills are, on average, 2-3X higher than what is budgeted
- 75% of cloud use was untracked and unapproved in 2017
- 72% of organizations do not have the information to predict future cloud usage
This state of unpredictability is why 45% of organization are either investing more in on-premises solutions over the next 12 months, or maintaining their current level of on-premises investment.
Further, over half of our respondents feel that a hybrid approach is the most sensible strategy – helping them to maintain their current on-premises investments while slowly introducing a more cloud-centric strategy for the future.
To learn more or read the full report please visit here. We look forward to your further feedback and thoughts on this top of mind study.