As one of several folks from SoftwareONE with boots on the ground, we thought it would be beneficial to highlight some of the most exciting announcements from VMware as VMworld 2016 wraps up today. As we move into the tail-end of 2016, our ambition is to continue climbing to the top as one of NORAM’s leaders in the solution provider space by further enhancing our future datacenter, future workplace approach to resolving customer challenges.
Before diving into the various announcements, product showcases, and tech previews covered at Mandalay Bay, take a look at the video below where SoftwareONE’s CMO, Lawrence Schwartz, discusses SoftwareONE’s vision for remaining one of VMware’s leading partners.
1. VMware announced the launch of Cloud Foundation
Cloud Foundation is a unified SDDC platform that brings together VMware’s vSphere, Virtual SAN, and NSX into a natively integrated stack to deliver enterprise-ready cloud infrastructure in a single SKU for on-prem environments for building private clouds.
Cloud Foundation will also be available for public cloud consumption for OPEX subscription base modeling on vCloud Air and vCloud Air Network Partners along with an extend partnership announcement with IBM SoftLayer. The idea is to let admins use familiar tools to control server, storage, and networking resources in public clouds, not just in private clouds in on-premises data centers.
Cloud Foundation combined with hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) will allow customers to take HCI to the next level beyond compute and storage to include networking with VMware NSX for enhanced network security and even greater scalability.
2. Support for Windows 10 via Windows Unified Endpoint Management
Cloud-first, Modern Windows Management and Security for a simpler, more secure and cost effective PC management:
- MDM for Windows
- Configuration Management
- Software Distribution
- OS Patch Management
- Client Health & Security
To learn more, visit here.
3. Tech Preview: Cross-Cloud Services
One tool to rule them all! Cross cloud management on vCloud Air, vCloud Air Network Providers, IBM SoftLayer, AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.
Cross-Cloud Services will be a new SaaS offering, though still under development, that will enable visibility into cloud usage and costs, enhance consistent networking and security policies, and automate the deployment, management, and migration of applications and data across vSphere and non-vSphere private and public clouds. With a common operating environment for both public clouds and on-prem workloads, central IT can protect data and applications and control costs while enabling developers and the business to innovate freely in the clouds they choose.
- Discovery and Analytics – Enabling discovery, onboarding, and governance of public cloud applications.
- Compliance and Security –Using micro-segmentation and monitoring to provide security and compliance for applications across clouds.
- Deployment and Migration – Providing developers the ability to work cross-cloud, and IT the ability to manage cross-cloud applications with security and compliance.
4. Product Showcase – VMware Workspace ONE
VMware showcased Workspace ONE which brings together identity, device management, and application delivery on a single integrated platform so business can be conducted by mobile end-users regardless of platform, location, device or application.
Capabilities of VMware Workspace ONE will include:
- Consumer Grade Self-Service Access to Cloud, Mobile, Windows Applications – Simple onboarding of new applications and employees. Enjoy industry-first, one-touch mobile Single-Sign On access to virtually any mobile, cloud, or Windows application.
- Flexible Choice of Device: BYOD or Corporate Owned– Self-configure laptops, smartphones and tablets for immediate enterprise use. Employees control their BYO devices with the capability to choose the level of services and IT restrictions they are comfortable using.
- Secure Applications: Mail, Calendar, Content, and Chat– VMware Workspace ONE will include email, calendar, contacts, content and chat applications that are consumer simple while invisible security measures protect the organization from data leakage. Powerful, built-in swipe and touch integrations with web applications such as Evernote, Gmail and Yahoo! Mail, among others, including third-party SaaS applications.
- Data Security and Endpoint Compliance with Conditional Access– VMware Workspace ONE will combine identity and device management with industry-first ComplianceCheck Conditional Access to enforce access decisions across any application or device.
- Real-Time App Delivery and Automation– VMware Workspace ONE will modernize application lifecycle management by simplifying application packaging, delivery and ongoing management.
Workspace ONE will be available in 3 options – Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise. Stay tuned for a detailed breakdown of these license agreements in the near future.
5. Product Showcase: VMware TrustPoint – Endpoint visibility and threat management solution
VMware TrustPoint combines the speed and scale of Tanium endpoint security platform to deliver an integrated solution for unified endpoint management and security.
VMware TrustPoint will enable rapid visibility and control of every endpoint across global networks, next-generation threat detection and remediation, endpoint and application management, and automated Windows image migration and management
The solution also helps to quickly detect hidden, unmanaged assets across large distributed global networks with minimal impact on the WAN. Once unmanaged assets are detected and identified, administrators can block them from the environment to maintain a secure network and bring the assets under control so every connected device is accounted for and in compliance with corporate security policies.
“Most security solutions on the market now were created before the invention of mobility, cloud computing, and virtualization,” said Orion Hindawi, co-founder and chief executive officer, Tanium. “VMware TrustPoint powered by Tanium is the only approach to endpoint security that provides visibility in 15 seconds and control at the speed and scale of today’s dynamic environments. No one else comes close.”
6. vSphere Integrated Containers is getting more functionality.
vSphere Integrated Containers Engine (VIC Engine) is a container runtime for vSphere, allowing developers familiar with Docker to develop in containers and deploy them alongside traditional VM-based workloads on vSphere clusters, and allowing for these workloads to be managed through the vSphere UI in a way familiar to existing vSphere admins. It is currently a beta product and open source on GitHub.
Highlights on how VMware has added a new Container Register, Container Management Portal, as well as vRealize Operations compatibility to the product line.
7. Tech Preview: VMware NSX Assessment Tool
Being stemmed from VMware’s recent Arkin acquisition, the VMware NSX Assessment Tool will evaluate the customer’s current environment and show how to create micro-segments to provide additional security in the datacenter by protecting east-west traffic within the edge Firewall. Automation features were also featured to actually create the micro-segment polices it finds too.