A three-pronged approach is needed to keep your corporate email account safe.
First focusing on security. Secondly focusing on back up, thirdly focusing on user awareness training because employees can be a weak link in security. If they are trained properly and educated to spot a phishing attempt, this could prevent some threats.
This post will focus on the first two elements of staying safe – backup and security, which aren’t interchangeable concepts.
An effective Office 365 security strategy will begin with an Office 365 Security and Cyber-Threat Assessment and provide you with a security configuration score. Followed by a recommendation on best practices and guidance on successfully implementing Office 365 security features.
Such a strategy will need to cover:
- Proactive threat reporting and monitoring of your Microsoft 365 environment
- 24 / 7 reactive and proactive security support
- Bi-monthly reporting with insights for improving your security standing
- A plan for setting up, enhancing and maintaining threat detection, threat protection, and threat response capabilities
- Identification of security and compliance gaps
Addressing the security skills gap within your IT team will be the most necessary and pivotal step towards protecting your business inbox.
Should data loss or theft occur, then you want the peace of mind of knowing that you have preserved business continuity.
When you consider that 75% of data loss is caused by user error, then you begin to understand why Microsoft recommends you have a third-party capability to back-up your Office 365 data. (Source: IT Compliance Policy Group)
Even though Microsoft hosts the Office 365 platform, they are not responsible for maintaining a backup of your business-critical data. With Office 365, it’s your data – you control it – and it’s your responsibility to protect it.
An effective and secure backup solution for Office 365 will do the following:
- Protect your Office 365 data from accidental deletion, security threats, and retention policy gaps
- Quickly report individual Office 365 items across Exchange, OneDrive and SharePoint
- Drill down through backups by date or keyword search to quickly locate and recover
- Backup all or specific groups of user
- Ensure that data stays in your cloud environment and you have the control to restore when you need
A comprehensive Office 365 backup solution can give you peace of mind, should the unnecessary occur.