Achieving SAM maturity is not a straightforward process, but it is imperative for organization’s that are moving to a cloud-based environment. To put it simply; you can’t manage what you don’t know, and the cloud is making it harder for companies to have full visibility into their software estate. To help you move closer to SAM maturity, keep these five steps in mind:
1. Take ownership of cloud licensing by knowing what you own and who has access to it.
2. Companies need to expand the focus from simply license management to both compliance and contract management for subscription licensing.
3. This is followed by a learn phase to better understand your opportunities and risk.
4. Look at maintaining reliable SAM usage and consumption data in order to have a baseline.
5. Last, but not least, craft and communicate a governance model for your overall SAM strategy.