Oracle Java – Important Licensing and Pricing Changes
On January 23, 2023, Oracle released a new, global price list for Oracle Java SE Universal Subscription. In it, the manufacturer announced that Oracle Java SE subscriptions will no longer be available for one of the previous metrics, i.e. Named User Plus (for clients) or Processor (for servers, cloud instances). Instead, Oracle will now sell its Oracle Java SE subscriptions based on an "Employee for Java SE Universal Subscription" metric.
This change has far-reaching financial implications for almost every company and organization using Oracle Java.
The whitepaper answers the following questions:
- Do I need a subscription for Oracle Java SE? If yes, when exactly?
- Wasn't Oracle Java SE free again in the meantime?
- What is the difference between the old and the new licensing and pricing model?
- How does the new price and license model work?
- The company already has a Java subscription contract for the Named User Plus or the processor-based model. Is there still a need for action?
- What alternative options are there?